CNIB provides community based supports focused on the rehabilitation needs of those who are blind or losing their sight.
Services that are available through CNIB include:
- Emotional Support for help with adjustment to vision loss;
- Independent Living Skills Training that can help with organizational and everyday living tasks, such as cooking and household organization;
- Orientation and Mobility Training which can help individuals learn to be confident and safe in navigating their environment, crossing the street or learning to take public transit;
- Low Vision Services and Assessments that can help individuals to find a magnification device that is specific to their needs and helps to clarify smaller print and other objects, making it easier to be independent for tasks like reading the mail;
- Assistive Technology Support and Training that can help individuals find and learn how to use specialized pieces of technology with features designed for individuals with vision loss;
- CNIB Shop carries specialized items, such as talking and audible products;
- CNIB Library Services allow clients to access accessible literature (books and magazines), both locally at public libraries and direct through the mail.
http://www.cnib.ca has helpful “how-to” videos and resources for individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
Contact CNIB to find out more about our services, become a client, and/or speak with an eye care professional — who can make a referral directly to CNIB.